Monday 4 January 2016

1/52 - The 52 Project - Monday 4th January 2016

So I declare that I will participate in The 52 Project created by Practising Simplicity and today is the beginning of week one!


The girl - Week one:

I was putting my little girl to bed and after a few minutes of silence she whispered to me "Mummy, I don't want to fall asleep, I don't want to dream of Witches!".  I thought about this comment for a moment.  I immediately felt torn.  Do I follow the advice of my psychologist who always recommends I tell her that "Witches are pretend", or, do I keep her my little baby girl for longer and tell her "They can't hurt you darling, Mummy is here to protect you".

I like to try and think through what I'm telling my children, think about how it can impact who they are and who they become.  What we say to them today shapes them for the future.

So I squeezed her tight and said "Baby girl, Mummy has told you Witches aren't true.  They are just made up for books and movies.  It doesn't matter anyway, Mummy is here and I will always protect you!".

She snuggled into my pillow and drifted off into her long, peaceful sleep.

The notion of helping her fall asleep sounds wonderful, however, in reality it can be stressful and exhausting.  Yet each and every night, once my baby is laying asleep next to me in my bed I take a moment to stare at her face.  The beauty, the innocence, the perfect calmness that covers her face the moment she drifts off.

This moment, it helps me refocus and realise once again why I have adopted this gentle approach.

1/52 - Sleeping Princess.......


The boy - Week one:

It was a rainy morning and Sophia asked if her and James could play with bubbles.  I let them play outside on the deck with a wand of bubbles each.

Bubbles soon turned messy when they finished the contents of their wand and decided to fill it up with dishwashing liquid (ok so they may have seen me do it first).  Within 15 minutes the deck was filled with suds.  Mess, mess, mess everywhere.

I walked out and confiscated the bubbles and began to wash the deck down with the hose.  To let off some of my frustration with my extra cleaning job, I decided to ever so slightly hose down both of my children.  I did it as I was annoyed.  It backfired.  They absolutely loved it and not before long they were running around the backyard, in the rain, with me hosing them.

Of course by the end they were completely drenched and it was only 10am!  This didn't really sit well with my "plan for the day", however, it made me realise how important it was to let go and enjoy a simple moment.

Both children were laughing, the deck had a nice wash down and I now felt relaxed and happy.

I gave them both a bath and we all had smiles on our faces.

Let your children change your plans!

1/52 - Messy then clean........


No comments:

Post a Comment