Saturday 9 January 2016

Pasta overload…...

This pasta making thing is extremely new to me, I'm far from an expert.  However, thought I might share my recipes from last nights cook-up.

Although making the pasta itself is extremely simple, it is one of those things that you look at the clock and realise you've been in the kitchen for over 2 hours.  So if you don't have the time to make home-made pasta you could use the sauce recipes and pour over store bought pasta.  If doing this, I would recommend fresh pasta from the chilled area of your supermarket (not dry pasta).  Prior to making my own this would be all I use.

Why is there two dishes…… Well that's easy.  I set out to make Crab Ravioli and half way realised how long it takes and how fiddly the process was.  So I decided to cut the remaining pasta in to fettuccine and make a second sauce.

The Pasta:

Ingredients:

Note: This is considered one batch of pasta, for my two dishes I made two batches so double ingredients

* 4 eggs
* 400g plain flour
* pinch of salt

Method:

1) Place eggs in Thermomix bowl and mix for 5 seconds on speed 5
2) Add salt and flour and mix for an additional 5 seconds on speed 5
3) Kneed for 3 minutes on dough setting
4) Tip all ingredients onto a clean workbench and kneed by hand into a ball
5) Set aside in a bowl and let rest for half hour
6) Break off small portions of pasta and roll out until flat then run through the pasta machine.
7) The fettuccine can be cut through the machine and hung out to dry, the ravioli is assembled as per instructions below.


The Ravioli Filling:

Ingredients:

* 200g of crab (I purchased mine in a jar from De Costis)
* 100g of fresh ricotta
* fresh chives
* salt and pepper to taste

Method:

* Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined
* Once pasta has been rolled out place a sheet of pasta over the ravioli maker (I purchased mine from a kitchen shop at my local shopping centre).
* Spoon the crab mixture into each ravioli
* Cover the ravioli with another sheet of pasta and cut using a rolling pin

Note: If you don't have the Ravioli Maker you could do manually.  It looks like this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/320745868015?limghlpsr=true&hlpht=true&ul_noapp=true&hlpv=2&chn=ps&lpid=107&ops=true&viphx=1)



So by this point you should have finished your ravioli and cut your fettuccine and your work bench will look something like this………

The blue bowl had some fettuccine in it which was too short to hang.  It was the offcuts from the ravioli that I didn't want to waste. 

The Ravioli Sauce (Burnt Butter)

Ingredients (this is where it gets interesting as I didn't measure everything):

* 100g butter (approx)
* teaspoon minced garlic
* fresh parsley cut finely 
* lemon rind of one lemon
* juice of half a lemon
* salt and pepper to taste

Method:

1) Melt the butter in a pan on high heat
2) Once melted turn the heat to medium and add garlic, lemon rind, salt and pepper
3) Mean while cook ravioli in boiling water for approximately 3 minutes (be sure not to over cook, fresh pasta cooks extremely quickly)
4) Once ravioli has cooked add to the burnt butter
5) Pour parsley over the ravioli and let fry in pan for 1 minute
6) Flip ravioli in pan to fry opposite side for an additional 1 minute
7) Season with salt and pepper and lemon juice
8) Serve and eat immediately


Fettuccine Sauce (Creamy Crab Sauce)

Ingredients:

* 200g crab (as per above, I purchased two jars)
* 300g cream
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* lemon rind of one lemon
* salt and pepper
* fresh parsley cut finely

Method:

1) Heat half the cream cream in a pan on low heat
2) Once simmering add garlic, lemon rind and parsley and stir through
3) Stir through crab
4) Add additional cream and stir through on low/medium heat
5) Mean while cook pasta in boiling water for 2/3 minutes
6) Add pasta to pan and season with salt and pepper (I also added a little fresh lemon)


So this was a first for me….. Writing up a recipe.  I cook at a whim and don't normally remember what ingredients I use let alone quantity.  Taste as you go and of course experiment.  Most of all enjoy and have fun.

I'm always open to feedback and suggestions!

I hope I've left you with a little inspiration.





No comments:

Post a Comment