Wednesday 27 January 2016

5/52 - The 52 Project

Tantrums are inevitable.  I've been around enough children now to know that there is no "perfect" child who does not tantrum at some point.  The extent and level of the tantrums do differ though.

So on this note I can now honestly say, my daughter is just epic at throwing a tantrum.  She is well-behaved 70% of the time (that number was calculated using a precise and exact formula).  However, in that remaining 30%, boy oh boy does she go wild.

She is like a child possessed.  I've tried so many different parenting techniques and methods to try and limit the extent of the tantrum.  I try extremely hard to reduce any collateral damage.

This week we had a nice easy stay at home day.  For the most part it was fun, enjoyable, relaxing and just what we all needed.  Yet, there was that one, crazy, completely erratic tantrum in the afternoon thrown by Miss 4.

I was chatting recently to a good friend who told me a new method they had adopted in their house for dealing with tantrums.  One thing I implemented with my girl was to ask her to tell her teddy what is wrong.  I felt it would help her express her feelings without having to look me in the eye and tell me what she was thinking and feeling.

It was the first time I had tried it and I definitely felt it worked.  She likes to be left alone during a tantrum to let it all out so I left teddy on her bead and told her to take time and calm down and when she felt ready explain to teddy what was upsetting her.

How is this related to my 52 Project you ask.  Once I could hear that she had finally calmed down in her room I went in to check on her.  When I did I found my boy consoling his big sister.

All I can say is it completely melted my heart.  So what did this normal, rational mum do in this situation??? I grabbed my camera of course (and I'm really glad I did).

Here are some photos of my beautiful boy comforting his sister after her melt down.  I may have cheated a little and added more than one photo as I thought all four were extremely beautiful.






No comments:

Post a Comment