Sunday 28 February 2016

Week 9 - The 52 Project: Mother & Son vs Father & Daughter

This week was an pleasantly relaxing week……... and then the weekend hit.  It was an extremely hectic weekend with a family birthday, wedding and a Sunday night dinner with my sister thrown in for good measure.

I'm now relaxing at home almost ready to pack it in for the night.  I'm feeling equally satisfied,  exhausted and blessed that I live a life with such chaos and fun.

The girl:  their bond, their love, the affection and respect they show each other is so heart warming.  A father and daughter share such a special bond.  He protects her, he is her hero, he is her world.

Her soft sweetness is such a beautiful contrast to his stern mannerisms.  They are the perfect balance and their personalities compliment each other.  

He can be highly stressed and at times anxious.  He is the man of the house.  His responsibilities are so extensive and relentless.  When he arrives home from work his mind is consumed with the pressure of his obligations as an employee, a father, a husband, a son.

When she hears the door open she runs with such excitement, she jumps into his open arms and immediately I can see a small part of him relax.  A tiny component of his mind shuts down and lets go.  She is his happy place.


I'm so honoured and grateful that this beautiful photo of these two was featured tonight on UniteinMotherhood on Instagram.  Wow, to have my photos be recognised like this makes me extremely proud.

The boy: we decided to head down to the beach this morning for a stroll and a spot of shell collecting.  I felt we could both use the fresh air and change of scenery.  

His behaviour has been on the difficult side the last few days (possibly weeks) and it is exhausting maintaining a calm and positive approach to parenting when you are tired and run down.  I've had to dig deep to stop myself from over yelling or letting my emotions get out of control.  

So this morning gave me the opportunity to enjoy just strolling with him along the sand.  The soft breeze and the crashing of the waves is cleansing and refreshing.  It allows me to clear my mind, rid any of the negativity I have built up over issues or frustrations circulating my thoughts.

As we walk along the sand he looks up to me for guidance, reassurance, familiarity and acknowledgement.  He ever so proudly shows me his shell collection, he points out how he has managed to get his shorts wet as he runs in and out of the waves breaking in the sand. He waits for my response to his actions, he looks on in anticipation for my approval (or not).  When I laugh, smile and tell him how proud I am he beams.  His face lights up with pride.

I call him my cuddle monster, he wants to be held and carried all day long.  I negotiate with him and we walk along the sand hand in hand.  He constantly checks his other hand to ensure he hasn't somewhere along the way dropped his beloved shell.  His mind is consumed by innocence and purity.  If only I could have his thoughts for the day, what a simple and precious life we would live.






No comments:

Post a Comment