Thursday 20 August 2015

City2Surf

I enrolled, I conquered and I loved it.

I decided to walk the City2Surf this year in order to raise money for Bears of Hope.  Such a worthwhile charity who help the lives of so many families when their world feels like it has been shattered in an instant.

I joined a team, the team leader, a girl who I had met through Bears of Hope had lost two beautiful babies and I decided to walk with her (and her family and friends) to honour them.

With Renee before the race.  Such an emotional day for Renee walking for her two children Gabriel and Lily.
I was also walking for me.  To honour my three babies who I wasn't able to hold in my arms.  I wanted to prove to myself that it wasn't all for nothing.  I needed to do something, to change something, to fix something.  This was it.

I didn't do any City2Surf training as such (which I don't necessarily recommend).  However, my fitness was improving with all of my gym work and seeing my PT weekly.

When the big day came I was up at the crack of dawn getting ready.  My Mother-in-Law must have lost the memo that firstly, it was only City2Surf and secondly, that this body doesn't really need any extra food.

None the less, as her Eastern European culture would suggest she made me a breakfast of champions…. Bacon, eggs, toast, traditional Macedonian pastries, the works.  I ate what I could and politely said I couldn't fit anymore in or they would be rolling me over the finish line.

Once the race started I felt energised (a little thirsty from all the bacon but energised and ready).  I thought I would feel emotional and possibly sad.  However, my body was full or adrenaline.  I think the City2Surf was a perfect walk to do to remember my babies as the atmosphere around you is electrifying.

I did most of the walk with ease, it was actually when I saw the 12km mark it hit me, I honestly didn't know if I had anything left.  I didn't think I could possibly walk the extra 2km to the finish line.  My legs were hurting, my back was aching, my hips were sore and my feet were starting to form these awesome blisters that I knew at that point would last a few days.

I kept going, as you do, you pull strength from places you never knew you had strength.  I thought of my beautiful family sitting at home waiting for me, I thought about my babies watching down on me, I thought about all the money my generous family and friends had donated and most of all I thought of me.  I knew that I DID NOT want to be the person who couldn't finish.

I decided to run over the finish line (was the only real part of the race I ran) and the feeling of making it to the other side was amazing.

Almost like fate, the minute I crossed, my phone started ringing.  I answered it and it was my husband.  His support to get me to this point was beyond amazing.  I hear "Where are you at"…… ", "I'M FINISHED" I screamed.  All I could then hear was screaming and cheering and clapping.  He was in the car with our two children and my Brother-in-Law.

What a feeling walking down the home stretch seeing Bondi beach in all it's glory.
I made the long journey back to my in-laws house (2 hours to travel 15km).  When I arrived I was greeted like an Olympian.  My daughter ran to the front door screaming "The Champion is home".  My Father-in-Law had a smile from ear to ear and said "Well done we're proud of you".

The feeling of finishing is more than I could have expected.  It was an honour to walk the course and remember all of the babies who were watching over us.

I raised over $1,200 (and team Gabriel and Lily together raised over $6,500) which will be put towards special packages sent to families whose lives will unfortunately change forever.  My hope is that this package will ease their pain ever so slightly.  It will give them something to cherish and love forever.

The support of my family and friends both mentally, emotionally and financially has been amazing.  I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart.

In loving memory of Gabriel & Lily Rosasqui and my 3 Angels in Heaven. 
~ May they rest in paradise ~
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment