Monday 17 August 2015

B R E A K F A S T

This title doesn't sound super interesting, so thank you for clicking.

If you have read previous posts you would know that I am on an incredible weight loss journey.  By incredible I  mean fun, exciting and challenging (not that I am some awesome super hero).

So far I can thank most (actually let's be real all) of my weight loss to the gym.  I exercise 5 times per week and just LOVE it.  I think the gym can definitely become an addiction, so I have been sure to work it around my other priorities in life.

I was thinking the other day about my journey so far and I couldn't help but think, if I were to become sick or injured and couldn't go to the gym for a day, a week, a month even, what would happen?

Well we all know what would happen.  The weight would definitely creep back on, and probably a lot faster than it came off.

So I had to make a change.  I had to stop eating "whatever I wanted" and start to think about what goes in my mouth and why.  Am I emotional eating? Do I really "need" that? What is the benefit of this meal to my body and mental health?

I took the plunge and decided to join Weight Watchers.  Now at this point I may have lost some of you as I do know that everyone has an opinion on different diet regimes and what is good for you and what isn't.  Hear me out though…..

I joined Weight Watchers because I needed to take control of my portions.  I think I eat relatively well, however, I definitely eat too much.  I needed (even just for 6 or 12 months) to be accountable for what went in my mouth.

I do like their philosophy of not holding back any foods.  Personally, as soon as someone says to me "You can't eat that", it soon becomes an obsession, it's all I think about.

You can eat whatever you want really, as long as you don't over eat.  They encourage filling foods, foods with a low GI that keep you fuller for longer.

So since joining (only four days ago), I have come up with a healthy, filling, brekkie or snack.  It does have some sugar in it, so those with Diabetes or issues with sugar should review before eating.  However, it also has a huge amount of benefits.  It satisfies my cravings on so many levels and fills me up for at least 3 hours every time.

What I use…….

* 1 squeeze tube of Chobani Greek Yoghurt (plain of flavoured.  Note: flavoured have a higher sugar content)
* 1/2 cup chopped up Strawberries
* 1/2 banana (I save the other half for after my morning work out)
* 20g granola (I use O&G brand), this adds crunch and texture to the dish

You could also sprinkle on top if you wish…..

* Shredded coconut
* Chia seeds
* Teaspoon of honey (if you choose the flavourless Greek Yoghurt)
* Raw nuts (slithered almonds would go perfectly)


This is what breakfast in my house is looking like these days…..
So basically give it a go, it's a great start to the day.  I honestly think if you start the day with a tummy filled with nutritious and tasty foods you definitely start in a better mood.

Set yourself up for success!

No comments:

Post a Comment