Thursday 23 April 2015

It's nice to be Mum....

One night this week I braved the horrendous Sydney weather and travelled the 45km from my home to the city to watch a theatre production with a girlfriend.

As a Mum, that takes effort.

The rain was relentless, no pause in the weather to even run to the car.  However, despite that, despite being sick with a tummy bug the previous day, I dressed up (I even wore stockings), did my hair and make-up and in we went.

Although it took almost two hours to reach our destination my girlfriend and I didn't mind.  There were plenty of laughs, lots of stories and endless girlie chatter.

We had a quick dinner and watched Les Miserables.  As I imagined the show didn't fail to wow me.

Just before we arrived home I said to my friend "It's nice to get dressed up and go out and feel like yourself again".  She agreed.

We're both Mum's, we both have two children under four and to be frank going out is an effort.  It can seem more effort than it's worth sometimes, however, once I make that effort I always end up having a great night.  Tonight was no different.

I told her it was nice to be ME.  Not a Mum, not a Wife just Me!

We said our goodbyes in the car and I raced in the pouring rain into the house.

I did my usual Mummy rituals around the house and by the time I climbed into bed it was almost midnight.  As soon as my head hit the pillow I was asleep.

Only minutes later I could hear the pitter patter of tiny footsteps coming up the hallway and into the room.  No words are exchanged anymore, my husband or I just add an extra pillow to our bed and in climbs our almost four year old.

Tonight however, after climbing into bed she put her hand on my face and said (as she rubbed my cheek) "Mummy did you have a good night", my muttered response was "yes darling".  She then laid her head onto the pillow next to me and said "Mummy I love you very much"......... "I love you too darling girl".

In that moment I realised, it will always be nice to come home and be Mum!


No comments:

Post a Comment